Post by Ganesh
As I am going to be 50+ this year, I was thinking to myself on what life-style changes I need to make as we enter into 50+. As you all know, our priorities and the amount of time we spend on the various things in a day change by individuals and by age-group. For example, I used to spend more time in office ten years ago, compared to what I am doing now.
After some thought process involving my job, its progression, my health, family, friends and hobby, this is what I decided for myself to follow as a general guideline for spending time on, as priorities for 50+.
- Keep aside 15 hours during weekdays for work and sleep with a combination of 8 hours (maximum) for work and 7 hours (minimum) for sleep.
- Spend the remaining time in a day and the weekends on 3Fs (Fitness, Family and Friends) in the same order of priorities for 50+
- Fitness (1st Priority): We need to stay fit and healthy as we age so that we continue to enjoy the multiple aspects of life. In my opinion, fitness takes the first priority for 50+. I suggest a minimum of 6 to 7 hours in a week for fitness.
- Family (2nd Priority): Spend more time with the family, especially with spouse and our parents as we get into 50+
- Friends (3rd Priority): Spend time with friends whenever there is opportunity and whenever possible to communicate, share, laugh and relax. This includes time spent on yahoo group and WhatsApp with virtual friends like you.
I believe, the 4th F, which is “Fun” will be the derivative of the above 3Fs. You will have more fun when you mix the 3Fs above, for example when you have a party with family and friends, and when you do a workout routine with friends, take a walk with the family, etc. This combination will help us to get more disposable time that can be used for hobbies like watching TV, sports, reading, music, movies, arts, etc. The hobbies can also be part of the 3Fs, and you can choose and combine your hobbies, with the above 3F priorities.
I started this practice recently, and am feeling pretty good about it. I thought I will just share this with you all in this yahoo forum as I have not written anything serious here for the past few months. Please build on this, and give me your useful feedback and suggestions to fine-tune this 3F priorities to make this more effective and valuable. I am sure these priorities will change 10 years from now when some of us will retire, and most of us will be grand-parents!!
I am sorry “aanmeegam” is not even a part of this discussion, as TTs like me can’t understand what it is, and I have my own definition of aanmeegam which also fits into 3Fs!! I will share some of my TT views on this in the coming days!!
I take this opportunity to congratulate all my friends in this forum who will be celebrating your 50th birthday this year (except my Chinna Thambi friend Ravi-Sir), and entering into 50+!!
Let's all look forward to 50+ with interest and enthusiasm!!
Surya's Reply
Wise words Ganesh - you 3 Fs prescription ...
I would also add a new item for all of us. It is clear that we have all bought into 'Fitness' as a key ingredient to our mix. We are walking, doing yoga, watch what we eat etc. Of course, this is not to be taken for granted - but there is no longer an argument that this is vital.
The new one to jump on, that I am proposing here can be summarized by the following catchy phrase: "Check-up from the neck-up."
In other words, the very most important organ in our body is our brain and we don't much take care of it.
I propose the following actions to keep our brains healthy:
1. Routinely do mental exercises (such as sudoku, scrabble).
2. Mixup your mental routine - Avoid falling into a mental rut (remember the brain is incredibly powerful, so it can easily 'routinize' anything we do)
3. Listen to people and messages you DO NOT agree with. Avoid echo chambers. Talk to people who make you uncomfortable. If you are a theist, speak to an atheist. If you are a vegetarian, go to a restaurant with a non-vegetarian (even if you do not eat so).
4. Sleep and let you mind rest without electronics interruptions (the brain performs important cleaning function of removing plaque in-between brain cells0
5. Remember to breathe deeply. Research shows that when we stare at screens and mobile devices, we take short breaths. Long breaths get more oxygen into the system and this is important for the brain.
6. Practice quiet and observe. Reserve X-minutes a day (10-15) to just be quiet. No distractions, no words, no reading - just quiet. No need to call it meditation or prayer or contemplation or anything. Just quiet.
7. Read at least one book a year deeply. My friend has a good rule - 10 pages a day! For this purpose, avoid reviews, summaries, headlines, excitement, suspense. Pick up a book you always wanted to read, and read it slowly and read it deeply.
8. Learn one new word at a frequency of your choice, in a language of your choice. By learning the word, I mean, hear it, understand it, use it. This means that it cannot be a fancy word. It has to be a new word that you can use. Here is an example: satisfice. This is quite a simple word. I had no idea what it meant! In fact, I even guessed wrong. What it means, is to settle for less. "He satisfied himself with the lower grade."
9. Seek out Apps that test your mental acumen. These are getting more and more sophisticated by the day.
10. Read regularly, or follow-on twitter, the latest research on Brain Health and findings. (i.e. make brain health as much a passion as physical health has now become).
The above is based on the 2 years worth of work I have been doing on the topic of ALZHEIMER's DISEASE at work. This week I gave a presentation on ALZH to our leading Fortune 100 clients - they just loved it. So I thought I would share with you as well!
Hope you find this good food for thoughts!
As I am going to be 50+ this year, I was thinking to myself on what life-style changes I need to make as we enter into 50+. As you all know, our priorities and the amount of time we spend on the various things in a day change by individuals and by age-group. For example, I used to spend more time in office ten years ago, compared to what I am doing now.
After some thought process involving my job, its progression, my health, family, friends and hobby, this is what I decided for myself to follow as a general guideline for spending time on, as priorities for 50+.
- Keep aside 15 hours during weekdays for work and sleep with a combination of 8 hours (maximum) for work and 7 hours (minimum) for sleep.
- Spend the remaining time in a day and the weekends on 3Fs (Fitness, Family and Friends) in the same order of priorities for 50+
- Fitness (1st Priority): We need to stay fit and healthy as we age so that we continue to enjoy the multiple aspects of life. In my opinion, fitness takes the first priority for 50+. I suggest a minimum of 6 to 7 hours in a week for fitness.
- Family (2nd Priority): Spend more time with the family, especially with spouse and our parents as we get into 50+
- Friends (3rd Priority): Spend time with friends whenever there is opportunity and whenever possible to communicate, share, laugh and relax. This includes time spent on yahoo group and WhatsApp with virtual friends like you.
I believe, the 4th F, which is “Fun” will be the derivative of the above 3Fs. You will have more fun when you mix the 3Fs above, for example when you have a party with family and friends, and when you do a workout routine with friends, take a walk with the family, etc. This combination will help us to get more disposable time that can be used for hobbies like watching TV, sports, reading, music, movies, arts, etc. The hobbies can also be part of the 3Fs, and you can choose and combine your hobbies, with the above 3F priorities.
I started this practice recently, and am feeling pretty good about it. I thought I will just share this with you all in this yahoo forum as I have not written anything serious here for the past few months. Please build on this, and give me your useful feedback and suggestions to fine-tune this 3F priorities to make this more effective and valuable. I am sure these priorities will change 10 years from now when some of us will retire, and most of us will be grand-parents!!
I am sorry “aanmeegam” is not even a part of this discussion, as TTs like me can’t understand what it is, and I have my own definition of aanmeegam which also fits into 3Fs!! I will share some of my TT views on this in the coming days!!
I take this opportunity to congratulate all my friends in this forum who will be celebrating your 50th birthday this year (except my Chinna Thambi friend Ravi-Sir), and entering into 50+!!
Let's all look forward to 50+ with interest and enthusiasm!!
Surya's Reply
Wise words Ganesh - you 3 Fs prescription ...
I would also add a new item for all of us. It is clear that we have all bought into 'Fitness' as a key ingredient to our mix. We are walking, doing yoga, watch what we eat etc. Of course, this is not to be taken for granted - but there is no longer an argument that this is vital.
The new one to jump on, that I am proposing here can be summarized by the following catchy phrase: "Check-up from the neck-up."
In other words, the very most important organ in our body is our brain and we don't much take care of it.
I propose the following actions to keep our brains healthy:
1. Routinely do mental exercises (such as sudoku, scrabble).
2. Mixup your mental routine - Avoid falling into a mental rut (remember the brain is incredibly powerful, so it can easily 'routinize' anything we do)
3. Listen to people and messages you DO NOT agree with. Avoid echo chambers. Talk to people who make you uncomfortable. If you are a theist, speak to an atheist. If you are a vegetarian, go to a restaurant with a non-vegetarian (even if you do not eat so).
4. Sleep and let you mind rest without electronics interruptions (the brain performs important cleaning function of removing plaque in-between brain cells0
5. Remember to breathe deeply. Research shows that when we stare at screens and mobile devices, we take short breaths. Long breaths get more oxygen into the system and this is important for the brain.
6. Practice quiet and observe. Reserve X-minutes a day (10-15) to just be quiet. No distractions, no words, no reading - just quiet. No need to call it meditation or prayer or contemplation or anything. Just quiet.
7. Read at least one book a year deeply. My friend has a good rule - 10 pages a day! For this purpose, avoid reviews, summaries, headlines, excitement, suspense. Pick up a book you always wanted to read, and read it slowly and read it deeply.
8. Learn one new word at a frequency of your choice, in a language of your choice. By learning the word, I mean, hear it, understand it, use it. This means that it cannot be a fancy word. It has to be a new word that you can use. Here is an example: satisfice. This is quite a simple word. I had no idea what it meant! In fact, I even guessed wrong. What it means, is to settle for less. "He satisfied himself with the lower grade."
9. Seek out Apps that test your mental acumen. These are getting more and more sophisticated by the day.
10. Read regularly, or follow-on twitter, the latest research on Brain Health and findings. (i.e. make brain health as much a passion as physical health has now become).
The above is based on the 2 years worth of work I have been doing on the topic of ALZHEIMER's DISEASE at work. This week I gave a presentation on ALZH to our leading Fortune 100 clients - they just loved it. So I thought I would share with you as well!
Hope you find this good food for thoughts!