Thursday, April 30, 2015

From Japan

Posted by Sri Krishnan



Last week I had been to Japan for a couple of days on a business trip. Thought of sharing some interesting things…I have added the pictures in an album.

Harmony

I have read that harmony with nature is a core value in Japanese culture. I could see many living examples. I had a walking tour of the Imperial Palace and gardens. The whole garden is not in a typical rectangular or circular shape that we are used to. The winding paths, Pond, Cherry Blossom orchard, Iris Garden – everything was in irregular shapes, but aesthetically done. The tour guide explained the concept – There is nothing in nature that is a perfect square or rectangle. If you compare the garden from Varsailles Palace(France), supposed to be one of the most beautiful in Europe,  – everything is rectangle, square there. From the central entrance one can see perfect rectangular expanse on both sides. The hedges are cut like walls perfectly. The beauty is seen as symmetry in the western structures.  Japanese see beauty as natural and not sticking out as man made.




Another striking example for me was even a simple thing like sound at traffic light to help visually handicapped. It was a sweet sound of bird calls.  It was so soft and natural, I did not initially recognize it as the sound for crossing the road. I was just reminded of the same in Bangalore – it is the sound of calling bell that we used to have some decades back – activated by magnetic coil - striking on a bell – Grrrrrrrrrrrrr !

We saw a demonstration of personal mobility Robot from Honda called UNI-CUB. This is a Robot for elderly people to move around indoors and public place like a Museum. Unlike the Segway, which is like a personal scooter, the design is again based on harmony with humans. One can just sit on it comfortable and there are no buttons or levers to control.  Movements are made by slightly leaning to the direction in which we want to move. After experiencing for a few minutes, I did not feel it was a separate machine- it becomes extension of our body.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Me1P0JljVk

People, the two faces of  Japan

Japan has distinctly two faces. One the UIltra modern – emulating the west and the other – caught in tradition.  The view from the 70th floor of the hotel that I was staying in the city of Yokahama would be just as in US. This is the city chosen by Apple to set up their R&D centre for “Smart city” project.

On the same day I witnessed two wedding ceremonies. One in the hotel – a full-fledged western style with the bride in wedding gown. Another at the Meigi Shinto temple – following the Japanese tradition. Most of the visitors were also in the traditional dress of Kimono.


The toilets in japan are another marvel – the seats are warmed and there is a device like a remote control attached to the toilet. Once pressed, there is a nozzle and water jet perfectly positioned.  Another invention to continue the tradition !

In the business space, the cultural values stand out.  The body language is always neutral and poker faced. One cannot judge if they are happy or brooding or upset under normal circumstances. Everyone is so polite, it becomes difficult to even to understand the emotions. They cannot say ‘NO’ to a customer.

As we know Japan is an aging society. I could see it visibly. But the elders keep themselves fully occupied.  I could see many of them doing paintings in public places.

Food

Being a vegetarian, my choices were limited. Many restaurants keep a nice display of all the dishes. I learnt that this is an art form – they make it with wax. But the display food looks so natural. I found “ Tempura” to be good. It is like our Aloo Bonda – vegetables inside batter, fried.  Rest of the food was looking interesting, colourful and presented aesthetically – I could not relish much. I was stuck with “sticky rice” mostly and some salad. Our host must have noticed this. The next day ,he came to drop us to the Railway station. I do not know how much trouble he took – he handed over a parcel of Roti and Indian curry and the ticket for the bullet train, profusely apologising and bowing almost to the ground !

A few things that I missed - In the resort where I was staying, there was "Onsen" - natural hot water spring, public bath. The etiquette instruction in the resort had said clearly that only clothes to be taken are the bath towels, and the bath towels are to be wrapped on the head, in case one feels dizzy due to the hot water. I did not venture further !

 The Cherry Blossom season just got over, I could see only a few trees with flowers that too not the classic 'Sakura".

That is my lasting impression of Japan !