Post by Surya Kolluri
A Prayer In The Spring
-------------------------------
Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers to-day;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.
Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.
And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.
For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfill
Deepak Edwin
Great selection. One of my fav poets... along with William Wordsworth
His best though....
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Swarna Ramesh
Nice. But I didn't quite get what the poet means in the last three lines? Can you explain?
Surya Kolluri
I believe that perhaps Frost is stating that all of God’s creation is love. many things in life are incomprehensible to the human, therefore must be left to God and he ask us to send our best gratitude to God for everything. According to Frost, we have to trust in our God completely - so that when spring or change, has come he has given us everything to reach him and ask for his guidance.
Something like that ...
Bharani Rangabashaym
Thanks Surya for bringing Frost's pious start to Spring. Concise explanation too. May we all spring forward!!
Venkat Raghavan
This is how I see it.
In the first three stanzas, the poem captures the nature’s simple yet beautiful expressions. I imagine walking through a garden with fresh blossom, expanding in to sprawling orchard, the buzz of bees around the trees in an otherwise absolutely quiet air. Then I see a bird rushing back to its nest in the evening evoking warmth inside me of an impending union with its kind. As I stand placated, over the dusky horizon I see a meteor streaking across momentarily, yet so fantastically leaving me in wonder.
There is no feeling. No thinking of anything beyond. There is this present moment, this is bliss, these are Love. To what far ends will I now need to be blessed more than this; do I realize that he has already fulfilled my present?
Another less romantic, more literal interpretation;
He has blessed us with far ends, but it is up to us to get the fulfillment out of this. Which means, we just need to be more appreciative, more grateful.
Bala G
Happy Birth day, Roberto !!!
You(SPK) chose merlot..
Roberto.. chose..Vodka..
And me.. Mineral water !!!
by Robert Frost
A Prayer In The Spring
-------------------------------
Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers to-day;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.
Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.
And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.
For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfill
Deepak Edwin
Great selection. One of my fav poets... along with William Wordsworth
His best though....
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Swarna Ramesh
Nice. But I didn't quite get what the poet means in the last three lines? Can you explain?
Surya Kolluri
I believe that perhaps Frost is stating that all of God’s creation is love. many things in life are incomprehensible to the human, therefore must be left to God and he ask us to send our best gratitude to God for everything. According to Frost, we have to trust in our God completely - so that when spring or change, has come he has given us everything to reach him and ask for his guidance.
Something like that ...
Bharani Rangabashaym
Thanks Surya for bringing Frost's pious start to Spring. Concise explanation too. May we all spring forward!!
This is how I see it.
In the first three stanzas, the poem captures the nature’s simple yet beautiful expressions. I imagine walking through a garden with fresh blossom, expanding in to sprawling orchard, the buzz of bees around the trees in an otherwise absolutely quiet air. Then I see a bird rushing back to its nest in the evening evoking warmth inside me of an impending union with its kind. As I stand placated, over the dusky horizon I see a meteor streaking across momentarily, yet so fantastically leaving me in wonder.
There is no feeling. No thinking of anything beyond. There is this present moment, this is bliss, these are Love. To what far ends will I now need to be blessed more than this; do I realize that he has already fulfilled my present?
Another less romantic, more literal interpretation;
He has blessed us with far ends, but it is up to us to get the fulfillment out of this. Which means, we just need to be more appreciative, more grateful.
Bala G
Happy Birth day, Roberto !!!
You(SPK) chose merlot..
Roberto.. chose..Vodka..
And me.. Mineral water !!!
