Post by Deepak
Moving into the 50s has been a natural metamorphosis for many.
As I stare down the barrel, I reminisce of a gentleman called Chetan Chauhan who paired with Gavaskar on many an occasion, went on to those elusive eighties or nervous nineties and kept everyone of us biting their nails, eventually their thumbs and fingers as well, ending up with stubby fingers....
This is not about Chetan Chauhan and his stubby fingers.
I am not going to allow this short wait get on my nerves.
This is about the 50s and some of my personal recommendations to make it worthwhile.
Here's my collection:
Bungee jumping - If you have not had this fix, you need one. If you like to go mainline, try the, creaky one near Gorky Park in Central Moscow. Never mind about the nerves... the small kiosks around the jump site serve some stiff vodkas. On a serious note, this breaks any 'fear factor' you might have. It transforms you into a 'fuller person'. For the first jump you might need to psyche your self up a few days before. Then you are hooked.
Kids - I've sons both big and mean; been mulling over the idea of having a kid all over again.... just imagine having someone to call your son or daughter in his/her teens when you are pushing the late sixties? I serenaded Preeti with a romantic trip to the Swiss Alps, a bouquet of 100 dew-drenched rose buds, a bottle of the finest bubbly from southern France. As we dined that evening under candle light, tasting some delicate fondue, I whispered my intentions into Preeti's ears. I presume it didn't go well. She shot a furious glance back and said 'You are a pervert'. I've since been seeking professional help.
Piercing - ok, ok, you have a tribal on your forearm or couple of lines of some C+ code or whatever on your wrist. Because you work IT. Great. But tattoos are passe guys. Now time to step aside and show some real character. Dont get fooled that this is for Jay-Z and Puff Daddy alone. This is taking over the corporate world by storm. From the Tatas to Ambanis.... (hey jus kidding, I am not in the business of checking out others' piercings). My recommendations - for the ladies, couple on upper lobe of the ear. With a diamond finish. For the men - a ring approximately one inch below the ear - on the neck. Platinum please. Silver and Gold is for, you're right - Jay Z and the rest.
Tobacco - I believe a very small percentage of our batch still contribute to the rich golden plains of VA where Marlboro get's its tobacco. Tobacco is bad news guys. Get a patch. Change your lifestyle. Jog 10 kms a day.
Get into a 30 day boot camp. There's one near Ekaterinburg run by a Russian ex-army guy. It is 30 days of pain. Pure, unadulterated pain. Simple. They beat you into shape. Literally. And you automatically forget your vices.
Yoga and the like.
Better still, visit the Adyar Cancer Hospital. (Not Apollo or other glitzy ones spread all over the world).
Ask to meet patients with lung or oral cancer. Hear them cough at night. Short rasps to low and long drawn, gut-wrenching ones. Ask to see the kidney-shaped porcelain trays they spit into. And if you still have withdrawal symptoms, make a return visit.
Hobby - My itinerant lifestyle over the past few years has not given me much of a chance to hone (are you kidding?) my culinary skills. Now no. Did you know the very humble coconut chutney that rides piggy-back on every crunchy morsel of your crisp dosa tastes better if hand-ground on a pestle rather than an electric blender? The blender apparently breaks the structure of the coconut (which is flaky) into pulp there by removing the original taste and the heat from the blender starts the oxidisation process right away! Ok, lets not get into a 'Strength of Materials' class discussion or a debate on the Iron-Carbide Diagram here! Pick a hobby over and above your golfing or whatever and try to master it.
Cooking is not easy guys. And the hot oil spilled over my wrists looks worse that the tribals and the b&w rig on my back.
Enjoy :)
Response from Venkat
Can I bat alongside DEEPAK Gavaskar?
I, the Venkat Chauhan, am inspired to pad up and bat alongside the Deepak Gavaskar. Taking a proper guard to begin with.
Easy overs to start with. No Dennis Lillee please.
Tobacco: 30 day boot camp no thanks. I am not quitting smoking because I haven’t started yet. But I am yet to see a ‘Yoga or any other health regimen’ that advertises specific courses for balancing the body and spirit for regular spirit intake. Now if someone could design this, I am willing to step out to every single ball and have a swing at it.
Bungee Jumping: You are kidding! This is not the stuff for Chauhan, I like to collect runs one by one. This is hitting six sixes in a row! Seeing the sixes from the other end makes my heart beat faster and faster, and if I ever undertook the feat myself, it will end up inside my mouth (the heart). So Mr. Deepak Gavaskar, let me enjoy the spectacle from the other end, and let you have the strike, kindly.
Piercing: A no ball Sir. I am not playing it. Leave it alone. No foreign elements ever attached to my body irretrievably. Simple rules for simple Chauhan. I also don’t like to see such elements on a woman I fancy. Again the same rule of retrievability you see. You don’t know where it comes in the way. But on the upper ear lobe for a woman doesn’t sound too perilous and is an attitude that Chauhan can put up with. Nice placid wicket.
Kids (at this age): Now this is a match in the last session. Not enough wickets in hand, do you go all out for a win and risk losing, or play out a draw. One must recognize one is playing with a tail ender (and ‘one’ is a tail ender too), striking sixes out of the stadium is out of question. At best play out the remaining overs and don’t urge the partner to step out and drive. In cricketing parlance remaining not out, still means the game is lost, if you have lost the partner back to the pavilion.
Hobby (cooking): Now you are talking! All nice drive length balls, and if slightly short outside the off stump, I relish cutting square. Then frying, stewing, whatever. Delicatessen.
Now that I have played the game, I am contemplating if I am being less adventurous. Especially the third and fourth mentioned. Piercing and kids. After all, what is life without its spice? If I have no problem with an upper ear lobe thingy, and that thingy has no problem with me, could that lead to the next thingy, the kid.
Now, that is MATCH FIXING, illegitimate, you are banished for life you Mr. Chauhan. Better seek a career as a cricket administrator as an alternative.
Moving into the 50s has been a natural metamorphosis for many.
As I stare down the barrel, I reminisce of a gentleman called Chetan Chauhan who paired with Gavaskar on many an occasion, went on to those elusive eighties or nervous nineties and kept everyone of us biting their nails, eventually their thumbs and fingers as well, ending up with stubby fingers....
This is not about Chetan Chauhan and his stubby fingers.
I am not going to allow this short wait get on my nerves.
This is about the 50s and some of my personal recommendations to make it worthwhile.
Here's my collection:
Bungee jumping - If you have not had this fix, you need one. If you like to go mainline, try the, creaky one near Gorky Park in Central Moscow. Never mind about the nerves... the small kiosks around the jump site serve some stiff vodkas. On a serious note, this breaks any 'fear factor' you might have. It transforms you into a 'fuller person'. For the first jump you might need to psyche your self up a few days before. Then you are hooked.
Kids - I've sons both big and mean; been mulling over the idea of having a kid all over again.... just imagine having someone to call your son or daughter in his/her teens when you are pushing the late sixties? I serenaded Preeti with a romantic trip to the Swiss Alps, a bouquet of 100 dew-drenched rose buds, a bottle of the finest bubbly from southern France. As we dined that evening under candle light, tasting some delicate fondue, I whispered my intentions into Preeti's ears. I presume it didn't go well. She shot a furious glance back and said 'You are a pervert'. I've since been seeking professional help.
Piercing - ok, ok, you have a tribal on your forearm or couple of lines of some C+ code or whatever on your wrist. Because you work IT. Great. But tattoos are passe guys. Now time to step aside and show some real character. Dont get fooled that this is for Jay-Z and Puff Daddy alone. This is taking over the corporate world by storm. From the Tatas to Ambanis.... (hey jus kidding, I am not in the business of checking out others' piercings). My recommendations - for the ladies, couple on upper lobe of the ear. With a diamond finish. For the men - a ring approximately one inch below the ear - on the neck. Platinum please. Silver and Gold is for, you're right - Jay Z and the rest.
Tobacco - I believe a very small percentage of our batch still contribute to the rich golden plains of VA where Marlboro get's its tobacco. Tobacco is bad news guys. Get a patch. Change your lifestyle. Jog 10 kms a day.
Get into a 30 day boot camp. There's one near Ekaterinburg run by a Russian ex-army guy. It is 30 days of pain. Pure, unadulterated pain. Simple. They beat you into shape. Literally. And you automatically forget your vices.
Yoga and the like.
Better still, visit the Adyar Cancer Hospital. (Not Apollo or other glitzy ones spread all over the world).
Ask to meet patients with lung or oral cancer. Hear them cough at night. Short rasps to low and long drawn, gut-wrenching ones. Ask to see the kidney-shaped porcelain trays they spit into. And if you still have withdrawal symptoms, make a return visit.
Hobby - My itinerant lifestyle over the past few years has not given me much of a chance to hone (are you kidding?) my culinary skills. Now no. Did you know the very humble coconut chutney that rides piggy-back on every crunchy morsel of your crisp dosa tastes better if hand-ground on a pestle rather than an electric blender? The blender apparently breaks the structure of the coconut (which is flaky) into pulp there by removing the original taste and the heat from the blender starts the oxidisation process right away! Ok, lets not get into a 'Strength of Materials' class discussion or a debate on the Iron-Carbide Diagram here! Pick a hobby over and above your golfing or whatever and try to master it.
Cooking is not easy guys. And the hot oil spilled over my wrists looks worse that the tribals and the b&w rig on my back.
Enjoy :)
Response from Venkat
Can I bat alongside DEEPAK Gavaskar?
I, the Venkat Chauhan, am inspired to pad up and bat alongside the Deepak Gavaskar. Taking a proper guard to begin with.
Easy overs to start with. No Dennis Lillee please.
Tobacco: 30 day boot camp no thanks. I am not quitting smoking because I haven’t started yet. But I am yet to see a ‘Yoga or any other health regimen’ that advertises specific courses for balancing the body and spirit for regular spirit intake. Now if someone could design this, I am willing to step out to every single ball and have a swing at it.
Bungee Jumping: You are kidding! This is not the stuff for Chauhan, I like to collect runs one by one. This is hitting six sixes in a row! Seeing the sixes from the other end makes my heart beat faster and faster, and if I ever undertook the feat myself, it will end up inside my mouth (the heart). So Mr. Deepak Gavaskar, let me enjoy the spectacle from the other end, and let you have the strike, kindly.
Piercing: A no ball Sir. I am not playing it. Leave it alone. No foreign elements ever attached to my body irretrievably. Simple rules for simple Chauhan. I also don’t like to see such elements on a woman I fancy. Again the same rule of retrievability you see. You don’t know where it comes in the way. But on the upper ear lobe for a woman doesn’t sound too perilous and is an attitude that Chauhan can put up with. Nice placid wicket.
Kids (at this age): Now this is a match in the last session. Not enough wickets in hand, do you go all out for a win and risk losing, or play out a draw. One must recognize one is playing with a tail ender (and ‘one’ is a tail ender too), striking sixes out of the stadium is out of question. At best play out the remaining overs and don’t urge the partner to step out and drive. In cricketing parlance remaining not out, still means the game is lost, if you have lost the partner back to the pavilion.
Hobby (cooking): Now you are talking! All nice drive length balls, and if slightly short outside the off stump, I relish cutting square. Then frying, stewing, whatever. Delicatessen.
Now that I have played the game, I am contemplating if I am being less adventurous. Especially the third and fourth mentioned. Piercing and kids. After all, what is life without its spice? If I have no problem with an upper ear lobe thingy, and that thingy has no problem with me, could that lead to the next thingy, the kid.
Now, that is MATCH FIXING, illegitimate, you are banished for life you Mr. Chauhan. Better seek a career as a cricket administrator as an alternative.

