Tributes
Swarna
KV has now become immortal - he lives through all his students, and we are all his legacy.
A couple of things I remember about him :
a) When he first taught left hand and right hand screws, he would say that most screws move"in" when turned clockwise. The conspicuous exception, he would say, is the ear stud worn by women, which moves in when turned ccw. To this day, whenever I screw in my ear stud, I have always remembered KV.
b) One A/N Viji, M.C, myself and a couple of other girls got late for the E.D class as were buying pencils and erasers in the shop opp koil. He did not allow us inside and told us that we can go for a movie. We came out, discussed and really went for a very old movie in the cinema next to the college...
Srini
What a sad news. I distinctly recall feeling proud of being an engineering student in the first year of college primarily because of those classes in IB where KV weaved his magic. What a teacher and administrator. I know of very few college principals who continued to teach after becoming a principal. He was one such rare gem who had such passion for teaching. He drilled such great stuff into dull heads like mine with his conceptual clarity and teaching skills. No words can adequately communicate the loss i feel at this sad news.
He used audio visual devices (16 mm movies) for explaining gear trains even in those drab days of black boards and chalk pieces. If I recall right i scored the maximum marks in first year drawing (89 ?) in my entire engineering course, thanks entirely to him.
I wonder how students from other engineering college could have become full fledged engineers without a teacher like him !
Siva
Great loss to engineering academic industry and all his beloved students. His Engineering drawing classes will remain in our memories always.
Pray God to rest his soul in peace.
Nambi
One of the greatest teachers I have seen.
May his soul rest in peace.
Ravishankar
Really KV a great man at all times.cycle example he gave one time all engg terms are used in cycle.
He drew the exact size of the model & it really matched. Pindrop silence of 250 students was amazing.
Proud to had him as our mentor.
May his soul rest in peace.
Krishnan
This is a sad news. A legend passes away.
Dr. K.Venkatraman, a Legend he was, he is, he will be to many of our generation. He stood the tallest.
Conducting an Engineering Drwaring class for 250 students in a single class is probably unique in any engineering college, and that too with an iron clad discipline.
The teacher who could draw with both hands, truly ambidextrous.
Many of you may recall the chalk piece missiles on errant students.
One of his famous statements “An engineer is one who knows something of everything, and everything of something”.
Suresh Babu
This is indeed a sad news. I was just talking about him to one of our juniors here in Knoxville.
My respects to him. He showed how to get students in shape mentally about the engineering drawing, as well as, discipline.
I still remember him drawing of circle in the blackboard with a chalk piece.
May his soul rest in peace.
Bala
My encounters with him were a few but unforgettable by all means
1. I travelled from another planet kaundampalayam to peelamedu by two buses. Always end up late to drawing class. KV bluntly rejects me at class door.. " you are too early to your next class"
2. I approached him in the 1st year one evening in his prici office. "Sir civil kuduthirikanga, mechanical Matthau mudiyuma?"
He had a live cigerret between fingers, another live one in ash tray; piercingly looked at my eyes. " civil padippa, nalla scope irruku". He disposed both the cigerrete ash and me in the tray and continued his work.
What a personality in spite of such a small stature and no special looks. It is the subject his knowledge gave him the stage actor like raja part.
If education is what is left with you after all unlearning, if engineering drawing is the one still fills our home with all abundance, don't we need to thank him and pray for his soul to rest in peace?
Hope I'm not late in this attempt.
Sriram
Very very sad news!
Great teacher and professional man!
Sriram
Very very sad news!
Great teacher and professional man!
Shankar
Our beloved Dr. KV has passed away.
I am sure all of us will mourn this day and celebrate his life and his legacy. We all owe a lot to this gentleman.
He was my final year project guide.
Bharani
Dr KV was the only teacher who could make every student feel that they got individual attention even in a crowded class of a couple of hundred students.
I also remember the occasional jokes he cracked with that serene face and voice. His voice and piercing looks could drill the toughest concepts into our minds. We are indeed lucky to have had him as our teacher.
Great teacher! May his soul rest in peace with perfect inscriptions of his achievements!
Surya
I distinctly remember this about sitting in KV's class (both Engineering Drawing and Theory of Machines). I would be in that big classroom, and maybe towards the back (maybe last 4-5 rows).
I would still feel the messages coming through to me crystal clear.
And, I would feel he would look directly at me and speak to me, even though there were 75-100 students in that class.
Amazing capacity as a teacher.
Our grateful thanks, tributes and prayers to a great teacher!
Chandru
Even to this day, I still write numbers the way he taught us in year 1. Cannot forget how he explained 8 as a small circle sitting on a big circle.
Some people do not die. They live on - through their teachings.
RIP KV Sir.
Sumathi
I too liked perspective view a lot and I remember one of our 2nd semester Engg. Drawing Exam Question was a to develop a perspective view. Out of passion for that I attended that problem. I started well but messed up in the middle and it consumed most of my time in the Exam Hall. When he taught in the class it was so interesting. Chandru still remembers the way he taught us to write the number 8 and I still remember what example he gave for writing 8 with a small circle at the top and also told that how it will look if we put the big circle at the top.
Venkat
KV will remain etched in our memories for ever as a teacher who epitomized that era!
The scholarship, extraordinary teaching acumen, and that indomitable authority!!
In an era where quality of learning was almost entirely vested with the quality of Guru, he stood very TALL!!
As a ECE class, I did not have much opportunity to interact with him. But I was called one evening to hostel office and KV told me that I will be in the hostel council. I was buying for mess later. I was worried what it will be like to be seen as establishment man in the aftermath of strike! Why on earth I was picked?
I consider it fortunate to have been taught at least one subject by him. ED. Lucky also we got to meet him three years ago during our silver meet. Despite his frailty, amazingly he had the same verve when he discussed the subject and to a group of 7 of us, gave a problem we couldn’t solve. The steely man we thought he was, actually showed a bit of emotion as we left his home! Mohan would be the best to talk about it..
KV Sir, thank you Sir.
Bharani
Dr KV was the only teacher who could make every student feel that they got individual attention even in a crowded class of a couple of hundred students.
I also remember the occasional jokes he cracked with that serene face and voice. His voice and piercing looks could drill the toughest concepts into our minds. We are indeed lucky to have had him as our teacher.
Great teacher! May his soul rest in peace with perfect inscriptions of his achievements!
Surya
I distinctly remember this about sitting in KV's class (both Engineering Drawing and Theory of Machines). I would be in that big classroom, and maybe towards the back (maybe last 4-5 rows).
I would still feel the messages coming through to me crystal clear.
And, I would feel he would look directly at me and speak to me, even though there were 75-100 students in that class.
Amazing capacity as a teacher.
Our grateful thanks, tributes and prayers to a great teacher!
Chandru
Even to this day, I still write numbers the way he taught us in year 1. Cannot forget how he explained 8 as a small circle sitting on a big circle.
Some people do not die. They live on - through their teachings.
RIP KV Sir.
Sumathi
I too liked perspective view a lot and I remember one of our 2nd semester Engg. Drawing Exam Question was a to develop a perspective view. Out of passion for that I attended that problem. I started well but messed up in the middle and it consumed most of my time in the Exam Hall. When he taught in the class it was so interesting. Chandru still remembers the way he taught us to write the number 8 and I still remember what example he gave for writing 8 with a small circle at the top and also told that how it will look if we put the big circle at the top.
Venkat
KV will remain etched in our memories for ever as a teacher who epitomized that era!
The scholarship, extraordinary teaching acumen, and that indomitable authority!!
In an era where quality of learning was almost entirely vested with the quality of Guru, he stood very TALL!!
As a ECE class, I did not have much opportunity to interact with him. But I was called one evening to hostel office and KV told me that I will be in the hostel council. I was buying for mess later. I was worried what it will be like to be seen as establishment man in the aftermath of strike! Why on earth I was picked?
I consider it fortunate to have been taught at least one subject by him. ED. Lucky also we got to meet him three years ago during our silver meet. Despite his frailty, amazingly he had the same verve when he discussed the subject and to a group of 7 of us, gave a problem we couldn’t solve. The steely man we thought he was, actually showed a bit of emotion as we left his home! Mohan would be the best to talk about it..
KV Sir, thank you Sir.
Senthil Subbu
Prof Dr.KV is no more. A Great loss to the world of Mechanical Engineers, A legend of Engineering Drawing and we can say :"Ikon of ED".
Even though he left his body He stiill lives in the hands of thousands of Design Engineers who learnt the basics of Drawing from him.
We (Mechanical and Production guys) are very fortunate to learn 4 semesters from him.(Ed1,Ed2,Mech of Machines 1 and 2 )
I can still remember each and every topic we learnt from him like Projection of lines, solids,orthographic projection,Isometric projection and machine drawing to all the 200 plus students at a time.
I still cant forget the day he took abt the topic "SWAYING COUPLE" in locomotives and still clear in the minds
Whenever I used to talk with any students I always refer his teaching methods.
A Good teacher is one INSPIRED us in his way of teaching.
A Good teacher is one who really mixes "TELLING, SHOWING AND DOING in the class so that all Understand.
A Good teacher is one who really mixes "TELLING, SHOWING AND DOING in the class so that all Understand.
Dr. KV is the best teacher and the GREAT VOICE and his English are still in our hearts.
I was sharing all these to my son and my mind moved into the class room of IB building and his Magnetic Voice is still heard.
Dear KV sir We all Salute Your Great Performance as a teacher and you will be always there in the Hearts of each and every sstudents of our batch.
Kanchana
I got a deep shock and my whole system shivering, became very nervous,..waiting for five min outside his cabin,..when stepped inside i could see him cigar smokes around his face with his eyes reddish and self completely speechless,..he told me, sit kanchana, need to talk with you and there were four teachers ( all my favorites) around him,...he gave a nice smile amidst the smoke& a deep penetrating look,..kept my head down didn't have the courage to look at him straight to his eyes,..he started saying, you have performed and scored well in all the subjects except theory of machines,..do you have any difficulty ??
I replied honestly i didn't prepare well,..sorry sir,..he softly conveyed "you are very silent sincere student , i am feeling down that you have not scored well in my subject",..what you want me to do.
I started weeping thembi thembi azhuthen in front of all teachers ,..looking at me crying he laughed loudly told me to go back to class,...
I just bunked the classes and went quietly to hostel, didn't have a good sleep,... the results came "self got pass marks in theory of machines" and during that semester many in our class didn't score well,...
next day went to his cabin thanked him,..he gave a very affectionate gentle smile, patted my shoulder!!
Every time when I happen to see him passing by or standing closer in the examination hall I always felt a soft gentle smile delivered to me with his red eyes rolling on !!! deep impressions to every student's heart !!
What a fear I had looking at his eyes !! My God !! Great Teacher !!
Great Memories/ Great Learnings.
Mohan
Yes memories of KV will always be etched in my memories.
From all the classes that I attended or did not !! the classes that KV took are some that I am actually understood and am able to recollect even to this day.
My father met him about 3 months after our group had visited him at his home and he genuinely was very touched by our visit and recollected the fact that he had given us a problem to solve which we had still not sent a solution for !!! Frail in body but with the same razor sharp mind.
One of the greatest teachers I have had in my life. Stern in appearance but actually quite a concerned about us all.
Fortunate that I met such a great man in my life.
Ashok
My memories of KV start from day one engineering drawing class when he pulled me up asked me to go for a round and come back after washing my face...And in the evening when we met him he told me to better more attentive and no more of this nonsense again and after that you all knew how good a boy I was and was the best conducted student and just missed out on the best student award...
Suseendran
It'll never feel adequate no matter what a fitting eulogy is written for Dr. KV, the man whose larger-than-life personality has touched everyone of us!
The way how he got the rapt attention of 300+ students in one room makes the present day talks on student-teacher ratio seem like a joke. "Engineering Drawing is the language of the Engineer." - he made us all write this statement over and over again, much to our agony but eventually transforming everyone's thought process about why it was so important!
It's amazing how most of us remember vividly after so many years, the nuances of his teachings even though we have come so far away from the actual subject matter that was taught. The various projections, his impeccable drawing skills, design concepts (the differential in an automobile - to name one instance), again, it's so hard to contain the list of things about which he had impregnated our minds!
As we pay homage to him and pray for his soul to rest in peace, do we need any more proof that the legend lives on in our lives?
Iswar
Like most of you, I can never forget this great teacher of us. I really feel sad now that I missed seeing hm during our meet. Few of us were lucky to meet him at that time. He really drilled the basics of engineering drawing to all of us. His sketches on the board were so perfect, as if it was drawn using templates. He was able to command the full class and with one stare he made most of us to keep quite. My colleagues here use Inventor and solid works for design work and once when I sketched a 3D fig for part I thought what it should look like, one of them commented " wow they teach you that good engineering drawing in school in India" . I shared with him information about our drawing class and explained him about KV.
I have some good memories of KV. The funny one being once KP Murali was running to hide when he saw TDC-4994 later to find that KV was not in the car. During revolving stage construction on both sides of the stage a big poster with lady holding a lamp was installed. When KV saw the final set up, he asked me how the poster looked. I said it looks good and he asked why. Then he talked about the picture and it stunned me as well as all the seniors who were working there. He always addressed Deepak as Edwin only. He felt we let him down during our mess strike. He asked us repeatedly to withdraw the strike and was very unhappy when we refused. Later once he said that he was disappointed by my behavior. But before we left, when I asked for letter of recommendation for my job in JK, he wrote a very nice letter.
I was told that on his last day at PSG tech, he left the car in campus and took a bus home. Looks like he was not treated well by the management. Srini said it correctly about other engineering college students learning Engineering drawing.For sure we all will miss him. My sincere prayers to the departed soul and hope it continues it journey in peace.
It'll never feel adequate no matter what a fitting eulogy is written for Dr. KV, the man whose larger-than-life personality has touched everyone of us!
The way how he got the rapt attention of 300+ students in one room makes the present day talks on student-teacher ratio seem like a joke. "Engineering Drawing is the language of the Engineer." - he made us all write this statement over and over again, much to our agony but eventually transforming everyone's thought process about why it was so important!
It's amazing how most of us remember vividly after so many years, the nuances of his teachings even though we have come so far away from the actual subject matter that was taught. The various projections, his impeccable drawing skills, design concepts (the differential in an automobile - to name one instance), again, it's so hard to contain the list of things about which he had impregnated our minds!
As we pay homage to him and pray for his soul to rest in peace, do we need any more proof that the legend lives on in our lives?
Iswar
Like most of you, I can never forget this great teacher of us. I really feel sad now that I missed seeing hm during our meet. Few of us were lucky to meet him at that time. He really drilled the basics of engineering drawing to all of us. His sketches on the board were so perfect, as if it was drawn using templates. He was able to command the full class and with one stare he made most of us to keep quite. My colleagues here use Inventor and solid works for design work and once when I sketched a 3D fig for part I thought what it should look like, one of them commented " wow they teach you that good engineering drawing in school in India" . I shared with him information about our drawing class and explained him about KV.
I have some good memories of KV. The funny one being once KP Murali was running to hide when he saw TDC-4994 later to find that KV was not in the car. During revolving stage construction on both sides of the stage a big poster with lady holding a lamp was installed. When KV saw the final set up, he asked me how the poster looked. I said it looks good and he asked why. Then he talked about the picture and it stunned me as well as all the seniors who were working there. He always addressed Deepak as Edwin only. He felt we let him down during our mess strike. He asked us repeatedly to withdraw the strike and was very unhappy when we refused. Later once he said that he was disappointed by my behavior. But before we left, when I asked for letter of recommendation for my job in JK, he wrote a very nice letter.
I was told that on his last day at PSG tech, he left the car in campus and took a bus home. Looks like he was not treated well by the management. Srini said it correctly about other engineering college students learning Engineering drawing.For sure we all will miss him. My sincere prayers to the departed soul and hope it continues it journey in peace.
