Topic by Nataraj
My topic for the week would be on personal genomics testing. Would you want to do it?
Getting the results of a genome test can be a bit like opening pandora's box. You might learn something useful or interesting, or you might learn that you're likely to develop an incurable disease later in life.
How would people react after learning they have genetic predisposition to an incurable disease?
Pro – People can make lifestyle changes. Eg. Heart disease, diabetes
Con – Insurance cost, stress of knowing etc.
Responses
Sudarsanam Suresh Babu
I like the uncertainty in my life though..
I agree it may be useful for some family with passed on genetic disorders passed to the students. But do not like pre-ordained based on my biology dictating what I should do.. Free will triumphs many times.
So I guess I am for it in case by case and not as carte blanch for government to dictate my life…
I think this was discussed by many philosophers and also new movies segregation based on genetics..
On a lighter note: This is genomics. If one wants to understand about own self, then one needs psycho-analysis.
My topic for the week would be on personal genomics testing. Would you want to do it?
Getting the results of a genome test can be a bit like opening pandora's box. You might learn something useful or interesting, or you might learn that you're likely to develop an incurable disease later in life.
How would people react after learning they have genetic predisposition to an incurable disease?
Pro – People can make lifestyle changes. Eg. Heart disease, diabetes
Con – Insurance cost, stress of knowing etc.
Responses
Sudarsanam Suresh Babu
I agree it may be useful for some family with passed on genetic disorders passed to the students. But do not like pre-ordained based on my biology dictating what I should do.. Free will triumphs many times.
So I guess I am for it in case by case and not as carte blanch for government to dictate my life…
I think this was discussed by many philosophers and also new movies segregation based on genetics..
Surya Kolluri
I am 100% all in - no doubts .... Ignorance maybe bliss, but knowledge is power!
Krishnan
On a serious note: There are many people who do not even get an annual health check up done. When a serious illness hits them, it hits them hard.
At the slightest sign of health problem, one should get a good check up done or atleast a good diagnosis done.
I know of a case of a 19 year old who has a renal failure, and it was detected as congenital problem but this kind of renal failure does not surface earlier.
A genetic analysis or even a normal health checkup could point out to such problems, leading to early corrections or preventions or atleast a reduction of suffering.
We are now in the age of Google, Samsung and others who are making devices that continuously monitor the health of an individual and raising suitable alarms.
If not for anything else, we owe such timely checkups just for our loved one's sake.
Venkat Raghavan
Whether I will go for Genome testing?
I think it is in Indian psyche not to go for tests to determine what problem one may have as long as one is comfortable.
There are two problems when one goes for tests. Firstly, any future possibility of developing a condition – even if distant – can start to afflict a person right now. Second, are there definite ways of preventing such condition from setting in?
Unless, every condition is determinable and for every condition detected (which causes no ailment now but may cause in future) there is a definite prevention, this may actually prove to be a very difficult choice for a person to make.
I would probably consult an Astrologer, because I am Indian!
Balaji
I feel the very essence of Human Life is Ignorance of the Future.
Once we know things in advance, you tend to become a slave of that Advanced Knowledge and loose the Uniqueness of leading one’s own life.
Routine Check ups and following a Healthy Lifestyle that suits one’s Physical & Medical condition should be OK.
Advances in Science & Technology should ultimately help improve Quality of Life without interfering in its Charm and Individualism.
Bharani
A thought-provoking and relevant topic for this day and age, Nataraj. Before I state my take on this topic, a quick recap of some Biology in human cells:
Each cell has 23 pairs of Chromosomes. A Chromosome is a single piece of coiled DNA containing many genes, regulatory elements, and other nucleotide sequences. Chromosomal DNA encodes most or all of an organism's genetic information. The word Genome is coined from Gene and Chromosome.
There is a long list of genetic diseases. To name a few – Anti-trypsin deficiency, Beta thalasemmia, Cancer, Crohn's disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Deafness, Down's syndrome, Hemochromatosis, Muscular dystrophy, Sickle-cell anemia, etc
Our Hindu Gothra system incorporates many of the scientific fundamentals of genome testing.
In this era of Internet marriages, my take would be to go in for genome testing, but use it judiciously. Let’s say a young couple who have a family history of a genetic disease has conceived their first child. Doing genome testing may help detect such traces early, and treat or take alternate action, instead of having the baby and see it suffer life-long.
My husband and I were the third generation of cousins to get married. My Aunt/ ma-in-law who is a doctor later revealed that she had run some genome tests before our marriage, and made sure that there were no problems.
Prevention is better than cure. I think it is worthwhile to go thru genome testing, find out your pre-disposition for any genetic disease, the probability of it, and respond accordingly. Medical Science is evolving at such a fast pace that soon there would be cures for a vast majority of genetic diseases.