Monday, March 24, 2014

Staying Healthy

Topic by Chandru

1. Can you share something that you have been doing over the past few years that has worked well for you to stay healthy?

2. How about you making a commitment to this group to do "one thing" that you think will make a difference for your health? You are accountable to the rest of the group to make good on this commitment and report back to all of us on the progress periodically).





Responses

Surya

Something I have focused on for the past two years.  Of course, Mohan is our wellness expert - so his response will be eagerly awaited.  Presumably you saw the 'note on health and wellness I posted this past weekend.'  Nice coincidence!!

To address you specific questions, I have the following couple of thoughts.

-  My regular habit over the past several months is walking 10,000 steps each day.  I have about 6-8 months of data.  My average is between 8,000 and 9,000 steps.  It is brought down during travel days and brought up during weekends when I typically do between 12,000-13,000.  10,000 steps is 5 miles.  I walk approximately 1 mile in 15 mins.  So 75 mins of walking per day is my goal.

-  My commitment going forward is to double the fluids and halve the solids.  The fluids are water and all natural juices.  As our metabolism slows, we don't need as much food.  So instead of fighting the composition of food, I commit to reduce the quantity consumed.

Looking forward to reading everyone else's perspectives, experiences and advice in this regard.

For this particular topic, I dearly wish everyone contributes.

Ganesh, Venkat, MLA - look forward to your encouragement to get everyone to send in a note on this topic.  This is vital for all of us for the second half-century.

One never knows whose advice will resonate with whom!  So everyone should send in a note.

Ganesh

I agree with you that everyone in this group will get to learn and gain a lot of information on how to maintain and improve our health as we all move into the wrong side of 50 next year.

It is very important and critical for us to pay attention to our health and take it seriously as we get into the 50s because of the stressful environment we live in, and the sedate work-life we all have (spending most of our time in front of the computer in a/c rooms).

Hence, I encourage each and every member of this group (at least the active members) to share your views on this important topic so that everyone will learn something new, and take a renewed commitment to take the health seriously!

We all need to commit to stay healthy and fit, to take care of our loved-ones if not to take care of ourselves to enjoy and be happy for the next few years in front of us!

I will share my views (on what I do to stay not so unhealthy) and my commitment within this week. I saw some wonderful tips from Chandru, yourself, Swarna and Sudha with each one sharing some thoughts that are truly inspiring. I am sure we will hear from others in next few days. We will extend this topic or re-discuss this topic if we don't hear from all.

Chandru, thanks for selecting this great topic. In fact, I had this in my mind (Health Tips for 50+) when my turn comes. It's great to know that the lions are thinking alike!!

Bharani

I think any good health program should involve www, namely water, walking, and will-power.

Up until 2007, I used to do rigorous exercises - skipping, pilates, dumbbells etc every morning. But after a couple of emergency surgeries, I have had to reduce the drill. I weighed 54 - 56 kgs before surgery and dropped to 49 kgs post-surgery. I looked for easier options to keep my weight under control. By following the 5 tips below, I have managed to keep my weight in the 50 - 52 kgs (110- 115 lbs) range for the past 7 years.  

1. Water  - I keep drinking water at regular intervals throughout the day

2. Walk - I avoid sitting for long hours. I just get up and walk for a few minutes every hour; lunch break - walk outside for half mile if weather is good OR walk up and down the stairs a few times

3. Include a rainbow color mix of veggies and fruits and low-fat dairy products in my daily diet

4. Eat dinner early by 7 pm

5. Get a good night's sleep (6-7 hours)

Other tips:
Reduce salt and oil in cooking.
Eat 3 meals a day - a filling breakfast and lunch, and a relatively small dinner.
Avoid junk food. A small snack once a day is ok.
For vision - Look away from the computer screen onto a calming visual at regular intervals. I have NOT had to wear glasses on a regular basis (knock on wood).

Venkat

Very much liked your essay on this.   I will remember the three Ws.

Great topic!    My contribution to this is “what can the devil preach”

Whilst a lot of us are conscious of health and make extra effort, some not so much conscious, but still keep up with some discipline, I can speak for a few of us - who really abuse the system.

Surya mentioned about increasing liquid intake as we go along, but it is the other liquid intake that which some of us have to curtail!

Equally, some others tobacco!